Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Laughing Cow v/s Happy Cow v/s Skinny Cow

Brandnama believes the name Skinny Choice is a bold naming choice by the people at Nestle. I agree. It's a bold choice but I don't think it's a very good choice.

First up, as you can see from the title of this post, it's not very original. Secondly, I don't think the word 'cow' has too many positive associations vis-a-vis people. Thirdly, the word 'skinny' isn't a nice word. And that, pretty much, sums up why I think Nestle should have gone with something else.

If a name is all it took to build big brands, Skinny Cow, would have sunk without a trace. Fortunately for the Skinny Cow, she has Nestle's deep pockets to back her. Personally, I think Happy Cow or Laughing Cow would make for a better name for the same line of slim desserts from Nestle.

2 comments:

Kaj said...

Actually Skinny Cow is pretty funky and hasnt had a negative backlash at all. Maybe coz 'skinny cow' is also used conversationally and in humour in England. If you see skinny cow advertising or the advetorials they did with magazines like Glamour, you'll see what it means. v fun, tongue in cheek, young girl about town langauge. Laughhing cow the cheese, is in a totally different space. french, La Vache Qui Rit, has completely different connotations. Shows one how language and phrases, and hence their understanding changes culturally. So while Skinny Cow may not work in India, people in Europe/ US wud get it. too bad their ice creams taste so awful!!

Kaj said...

Apologies for not being clearer. I simply meant that laughing cow & their packaging is in a totally different area to skinny cow which is young fashionable women. And I meant that 'that skinny cow' is a popular phrase in itself. hence the distinction. So what I meant was that 'laughing cow' as a brand is in a totally different space with different connotations than the skinny cow. That's it. I also mentioned that the ice cream doesn't taste that good, in my HUMBLE opinion, if it fails it will be cause there's far tastier options out there, not coz of the name. newayz this is just my opinion, I'll be careful not to give it anymore!