Sunday, March 25, 2007

Trylateral v/s Cluenatic v/s Whonami

The puzzle pasha of my world, Brandnama, has come up with a new game for the lateral-minded. He has called it Trylateral. The same gent had also come up with a game called Cluenatic. Which of the two names do I like better? Which is likely to score better on the naming charts. Which is better structured to make a greater impact? Let's see.

What does Trylateral have going for it? For one, it has a lovely vowel/consonant rhythm about it. For two, it highlights the product promise upfront and most unclumsily. For three, it's a nice play on the tri-structure nature of the game. So why do I think Cluenatic is a better name? Simply because 'lunatic' is a more memorable word than lateral. (In all other parameters, Trylateral and Cluenatic score almost equally.)

Needless to say, Trylateral is the perfect name for this new game but the point I'm trying to make is this: the more memorable names born out of compund words are the ones that contain more impactful component words. 'Lunatic' is, marginally, a more memorable word than 'lateral' and if you were to put both the names to the test, Cluenatic will score higher on the recall charts.

This is not to say Brandnama should go and look for crazy words to build into Trylateral. All I'm trying to deconstruct are the reasons Cluenatic is a more memorable name than Trylateral.

Incidentally, yours truly, too, has a little game he has come up with called Whonami. I wonder how that scores in comparison to these two names from the pasha of naming and puzzles? Hmm...Tsunami, now that's an impact filled component word. Tick.

3 comments:

blaiq said...

I really like reading these ___________ vs. ___________ posts and the two times you featured stuff about/around me were particularly insightful to me.

But I can't help but feel that there's a great deal of subjectivity to your approach and your explanation. What if you could quantify some of the variables and arrive at a score for each?

It will also give us a way to compare 'oranges and apples' names - names that you haven't featured as a pair.

Better still, what if you offered a poll (in addition/or separately) and see what people have to say?

Subramaniam Avinash said...

Thanks for your comment. I agree with you. What I say is very subjective and is based on a combination of gut feel and certain home-spun priniciples based on experience.

It would be nice to quantify some of the variables. It is an exercise that will require some time. And thought. Hopefully, I shall find the time and thoughts to do the same. In the meantime, if you'd like to help me get started on this quantifying process it would be most instructive. What say?

A poll, too, would be great. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't think I get enough visitors to put together a poll of more than 4 or five people per post.

Honestly, Blaiq, all I get is about 30 minutes every morning to devote on blogging. It's why I really enjoy co-blogging, which gives us all a chance to create a substantial body of knowledge without having to devote very large amounts of time putting it together.

I'd love some help to put in place some of the things you have mentioned in your comment.

SmartDomainers said...

yes,I like to read this.

I see that whonami also is the name of a
domain registration website
.