Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thingnamer v/s Brandnama v/s Brandaclaus

The Name Game is catching on. Here's my list of 26 names after each letter of the English Alphabet. Where's yours?
Adidas
Boyzone
Caterpillar
Du
Ebay
Folgers
Google
Haier
India
Joost
Kinkos
Lily
Mojo
Nike
Orange
Puma
Qualcomm
Rabobank
Sandoz
Tiger
U-tube
Viacom
Waterman
Xbox
Yellowstone
Zippo

Well, boys and girls what can we learn from this? Off the top of my head, this: That strong consonant sounds are the key to memorable brand names. That soft vowel sounds don't make as much of an impact on the mind. That a soft touch will only work as a counterpoint to a hard sound. And that's why you should always choose brand names that alternate between soft sounds and hard sounds. Go back to my top-of-my-mind list to see what I mean. Think of your own list and you'll end up doing what I mean.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting list! I hadn't put together the alternating hard/soft aspect. I'll have to go back and check my own list.

The Name Game certainly is gaining ground. Folks in the Netherlands are going crazy for it. ... really!