Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Post-it v/s Mind-it

Making a splash in a category owned by the pioneer in Post-its, Post-it, is going to take some doing. And doing so by going for a radical name is a great place to start. But how does one come up with a name that can displace the category owning Post-its from the consumer's mind? Well, if I were an Indian company and wanted to launch an alternate brand of Post-its in India, I might want to call it Mind-it.

What I like about mind-it is that it's close enough to the product benefit. What I also like about Mind-it is that Mind-it is already established as one of the most famous throwaway lines in popular culture in India. What I also, also like about Mind-it is that it's close enough to Post-it and will riff off the equity built by the undisputed leader brand.

Mind-it, in my mind, wins this hypothetical brand war. If anyone out there has a problem with Mind-it, now's the time to...well, speak your mind. Rest assured, I won't mind it.

Post-it
Stop-start scale: 7/10
Long and Short cut: 7/10
Story meme: 6/10
Übertotal: 20/30

Mind-it
Stop-start scale: 7/10
Long and Short cut: 7/10
Story meme: 7/10
Übertotal: 21/30

3 comments:

blaiq said...

I really like Mind-it a lot. I think it has a lot going for it, as you rightly point out.

I also think that Mind-it deserved a higher story meme score in comarison with Post-it (as against the current single point advantage.) It combines two different strong story memes - it sounds like Post-It and the recall of it from Indian usage.

anantha said...

bro, gluteus maximus is for an adhesive as in gluestick. so u must review your comparison.

Subramaniam Avinash said...

@Anantha: Jeez. What a doofus maximus i have been. Apologies. Corrected.