Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Stupid v/s Simple

I was reading a web reaction to the name of a band I'm currently tripping all over called Postal Service. The person, I forget who, thought the name was stupid. I thought it was interesting. And then I thought to myself; if you had to choose between a stupid brand name and a simple one, which one would you go for?

I'd go for stupid. Simple is less likely to grab people by the eyeballs than stupid. People love to take a stand on something that appalls or makes them seem smart. People love to criticise. People are likely to pay more attention to something negative, over simple. It goes without saying, and thus is worth repeating, that stupid isn't something you should choose over smart.

And since everything marketable must be quantified, here's my Übermetric on this rather controversial, and subjective, matter. Interestingly enough, I've chosen to rate this war only on one parameter. For a properly pdf'ed white paper on this thoroughly researched and scientified subject, you are advised to invest some time in talking to me.

Stupid
Story meme: 7/10
Übertotal: 7/10

Simple
Story meme: 5/10
Übertotal: 5/10

No comments: